Sunday, March 21, 2010

Snow Leopard Update

I want to provide an update on my hackintosh experience.

Almost everything is working as a normal Mac, except sound and sleep. The problem with sound is this: When booting in 64bit mode, the volume controls stop working. Not a big deal, I just use 32bit mode. From what I have read, there is no difference in booting in 64/32 bit modes. I can still run 64bit apps just fine. There are drivers that make the sound card work when booted in 64bit mode, but they were introducing a lot of additional noise. Not worth the effort. Maybe at a later date I'll look into the problem.

Sleep is a different story. At first I wasn't too bothered by the lack of working sleep, but now after almost 3 months I want to get it working. I had to set up Windows 7 to finish my taxes, and sleep just works on that OS. So I have to get at least parity with Windows.

My plan is as follows:
  1. clone Snow Leopard onto another HDD (I bought SuperDuper!)
  2. install experimental kext and test out sleep on that.
Updates to follow.

No comments: